Monday, July 7, 2008

My generation

The Gospel this week came from Matthew.

"How can I account for this generation? The people have been like spoiled children whining to their parents, 'We wanted to skip rope, and you were always too tired; we wanted to talk, but you were always too busy.' John came fasting and they called him crazy. I came feasting and they called me a lush, a friend of the riffraff. Opinion polls don't count for much, do they? The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

Joey helped us explore this text musically through an blaring interpretation of "My generation"

The Gospel continues with...

"Abruptly Jesus broke into prayer: "Thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth. You've concealed your ways from sophisticates and know-it-alls, but spelled them out clearly to ordinary people. Yes, Father, that's the way you like to work...Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

Naomi shared a touching story from her recent trip to Mexico where she helped build a house for a family. In the beginning, the work was hard for her. The boxes and bags heavy. But as time passed, she felt the burden lighten and was reminded of this verse. Coincidentally, it happened to be the Gospel this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the blog for Crossings!