Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Who is Jesus?

He pressed them, "And how about you? Who do you say I am?"

Simon Peter said, "You're the Christ, the Messiah, the Son of the living God."

Jesus came back, "God bless you, Simon, son of Jonah! You didn't get that answer out of books or from teachers. My Father in heaven, God himself, let you in on this secret of who I really am. And now I'm going to tell you who you are, really are."

Who is Jesus?
Jesus asks a simple question that has a profound answer. Who am I? Who is Jesus? A wise man, a teacher, a prophet? Peter responds -- Son of God. What the heck, where does this come from? What does it mean? What makes Peter say this?

I wrestle with this question. Who is Jesus? Who is God? What does it mean for God to have a son and how can they be one? Without the bible or years of Christian tradition and theology, would I ever conceive to think of Christ as the son of God. This revelation of Peter's is so profound and Jesus responds by validating that there is no earthly way he could have come up with it.

Jesus continues by saying -- now you know who I am, let me tell you who you are -- I am struck by this. The idea that Peter's, and our, identity is somehow defined by who Jesus is makes me wonder -- How does Jesus as the son of God shape who I am?

I don't have an answer, but it is a curious question.

No comments: