Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Kingdom of Heaven...

is like a mustard seed that starts small and grows on its own.

This is the verse we read at Crossings this week. It really touched home for me as I am 4 1/2 months pregnant which has given me a number of insights into faith.

At first, I was agnostic about being pregnant. A little stick told me that it was true but I didn't feel any different and had a nagging sense that it wouldn't really "stick."

Weeks passed and I had an ultrasound. Seeing a little body that moved and beating heart pierced me. But still I couldn't feel it. I wasn't changing that much and so emotionally, it didn't seem real. I was agnostic.

I realized that sometimes, even when God presents us huge blaring signs that he exists and is out there. We find ways to dismiss them. But yet, this small thing is planted in our hearts and grows. And as it grows it takes hold of us. It changes us.

And as I am now starting to believe in and connect to this baby that I can't see growing inside me, so in faith we find small ways to connect to and believe in God and to trust in Him.

No comments: