Monday, September 7, 2009

Living in community

For me, this evening fit the ideal description of labor day. A cool breezy afternoon in the park, BBQing, a game of ultimate frisbee, friends sitting around in fold-up camping chairs sipping on various drinks while kids did "performances" for us from just beyond the playground.

I looked around, some people I had known for the entire 3 years that I have been involved with Crossings and some I've only met a few weeks ago. But somehow, this evening, it felt like we were at a family reunion and that we had known each other forever with a type of intimacy that is rarely experienced among a group of friends. It felt like my favorite pair of jeans after they've been worn a few times.

This is what it means to be "church." to be the "body." One couple is getting married and we all gathered to support them in their wedding preparations. New students and professionals are settling into town to start a new life here and we gather to help them move in and feel welcome. My husband and I are expecting our first child and everyone gathers around us to help prepare for the new baby to come -- and not in a "this is a church duty" obligatory way, but in a comfortable, we count on each other the way we count on our family kind of way.

This evening, as I watched everyone enjoy the night. As I sat with my feet up, peaceful with the world and not being anything but myself. I was very thankful that God has worked in us all to form "the church" among us and pray that this kind of "church" could exist for everyone.

No comments: