Friday, January 9, 2009

A Year in Review


“The Spirit, not content to flit around on the surface, dives into the depths of God, and brings out what God planned all along. Who ever knows what you're thinking and planning except you yourself? The same with God...” 1 Corinthians 2:11 (the message)

Only the Spirit knows where God is leading the ministry of Crossings. This year at Crossings has been one of growth, change, faith and rebirth. The wind started to blow last January when the Crossings leadership team were ignited with a passion to connect with the essence of lent through the Blues. It was an amazing time of exploring God’s grace that meets us in the depths of what it means to be human and draws us to hope. Attendance grew. Worship deepened. We led a Wednesday night service.

In the middle of this amazing time, we lost David Blakely, the Crossings Director. Carried by the Holy Spirit, the lay leadership team continued to plan worship, reach out and grow the community. However, summer brought us new challenges. Life pulled the core of the leadership team in different directions and sadly Corey and Nancy Neu left us to start a new life in Indiana.

We spent the rest of summer trying to figure out what God was calling us to do. We looked at calling a second pastor, hiring a music leader, disbanding the service or just leaving it in the hands of the lay leaders. With the Spirit’s nudging, I stepped up to fill the leadership void. Feeling comfort that many of the disciples were not religious leaders or well trained, I hoped that the Spirit would be with me.

The fall was rough. The community had shrunk, the congregation’s energy was low and I wondered if God was calling me into the desert. I tried everything I could think of to build a new community at Crossings, but God taught me that it wasn’t by my works that His ministry happened. But by his grace.

Humbled. Tired. Broken. I let God do whatever he was going to do. And what God does is always amazing. In step with the church calendar, this advent was a time of pregnancy and I watched as a new Crossings was born. Beautiful. Spiritual.

I don’t know where God will lead us this year, but as we approach lent I look to the unyielding love on the cross and I know it will be just as it should be.

No comments: