Wednesday, February 11, 2009

They shall run and not grow weary



This past weekend, we enjoyed an AWESOME time up in Gualala. As I had hoped, a prolonged weekend near the ocean brought me a sense of spiritual calm that I needed more than I recognized.

On Saturday morning, a group of us went for a run along the water. It was beautiful. It was beautiful but long. I haven't really run for a while so the 5 miles we did was more than my body was used to. On the way back I looked for marker after marker telling myself, I was 25% of the way, 50%, 60%.

We had less than a mile to go and one of the women got really tired and wanted to stop. But we were almost there. She couldn't give up now! I started clapping my hands. Run to the rhythm. Take one step after another. Almost magically, we both started running faster. We weren't tired.

The next morning at church they read the verse: "He shall restore their strength and they shall fly on wings like eagles. They shall run and not grow weary" (Isaiah 40) I imagined God running along side of us on the beach, clapping his hands - take one step after another, listen for my rhythm.

Life has twists and turns and a path that is hard to follow. There are so many times I just want to say - ENOUGH, I'M TIRED! and in the words of my best friend - NO MORE PERSONAL GROWTH FOR ME. I DON'T WANT TO BE A GROWN-UP ANY MORE, I'M TURNING IN MY KEYS!

That is when God runs up behind us, through a friend, through a moment, through sunlight in the trees, through the ocean, through a whisper and claps - one step after another, I'm with you. And suddenly, everything is alright. We aren't so tired and we can run but not grow weary.

Thank you, God.

No comments: