Wednesday, February 4, 2009

...and they were amazed at his teaching...


This week's lesson came from Mark 1:22 "The people were amazed at his teaching, because he taught them as one who had authority, not as the teachers of the law"

Have you ever had a teacher that amazed you? that changed your view of the world? I think of my first year of college. I became an assistant for my art teacher who was this incredibly wise man (think Morgan Freedman and James Earl Jones roles) He was for me - my sensai. Long hours I would work in his studio, listening to the jazz, watching him paint and wondering what my place in the world would be. He would rarely speak to me, but I hungered to learn from him. I wanted to become wise and to figure out who and what I should become.

I thought of him when Jeff preached about Jesus's teaching and how he likened it to those amazing teachers we have had who have shaped us. It reminded me of how my professor would use metaphors with me but not explain them and let me think about them all day while I cleaned his studio. As we've been reading through John, it seems that Jesus taught in this way too - giving small bits to his disciples to ponder. It takes time and desire to grow for these kinds of lessons to sink in.

No comments: